The original de Young museum, located in the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco California, first opened its doors in 1898. The museum sustained heavy damage during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake and was in serious need of repairs. Private investors saw this as an opportunity to re-build the museum as a state-of-the-art facility, and in 1999 construction began on the new 291,000 facility, comprised of a 258,000 square foot 3-story museum and a 33,000 square foot 10-story education tower. The facility is protected by 76 base isolation rubber bearings that reduce the acceleration of the floor in order to facilitate the use of regular anchorage and bracing methods. The new de Young Museum opened in 2005.
Image Source: http://www.arcspace.com/CropUp/-/media/52933/4deyoung.jpg